the maori tattoo is a tattoo of Polynesian origin, it is the ancestor of tattoos as known today. It is an art that impresses with the density and complexity of the tattoo patterns, it is so complex that sometimes it can be confusing.
Maori tattoos are mostly geometric in shape, made of circles, friezes, triangles, lines, spirals, and flat areas. The whole forms symbols that have interpretation.
What do Maori tattoos symbolize?
Maori tattoos symbolize according to the pattern: protection, belonging to a family, a clan, a social rank or even a given territory.
Among this selection of 100 most beautiful Maori tattoos, you will necessarily find the one that suits you the most.
1. Pattern made on the shoulder.
Shoulder tattoos are often intended for warriors among the Maori.
2. A hammerhead shark tattoo.
This motif is very popular among the Maori. It is a marine animal that is very often found in the Polynesian coasts and which is often seen as a sacred animal.
3. Finger patterns.
This kind of pattern is more often requested more for beauty than for their meaning.
4. A color pattern on the shoulder.
Color patterns are very rare. The most used color in the Maori style is sky blue.
5. Thigh tattoo.
This is a pattern that is very often found in women but sometimes in men as well.
6. A pattern all over the bottom and the shoulder.
This warrior pattern is much more complete and extensive.
7. A pattern for women on the back.
Women too wear awesome designs like this back tattoo.
8. A tattoo of three hammerhead sharks.
This motif represents the cycle and eternity of this sacred animal.
9. Pattern all over the chest.
Very significant pattern, it represents the gaze of a dragon.
10. A representation of sharks.
Another way to pay homage to the deities is also to keep their representation engraved on the body.
11. A full arm and hip tattoo
12. Pattern surrounding the forearm
13. Pattern on the upper arm
14. Foot tattoo
15. Forearm tattoo
16. Pattern made on the arm and torso on the right side
17. Patterns made on the back.
18. Tattoo for women made on the waist
19. Representation of a motif of a stripe on the back
20. Large pattern done all over the back
21. Pattern covering the whole arm
22. Upper arm and shoulder tattoo
23. Maori pattern all over the right arm and shoulder
24. Elongated Foot Tattoo
25. Pattern on the shoulder and half of the upper arm
26. Pattern in the shape of a stripe on the back
26. Red-spotted tattoo on the shoulder
27. Hammerhead shark chest design
28. Arm shoulder tattoo
29. Pattern on the shoulder blade
30. Tattoo on the shoulder and part of the arm
31. Animal representation on the whole back
32. Pattern on half back, left arm and right elbow
33. Pattern surrounding the left forearm
34. Tattoo on left shoulder and half arm
35. Pointed Low Shoulder Pattern
36. Maori forearm tattoo
37. Tribal pattern on the stomach, chest and shoulder
38. Stingray pattern tattoo on upper back
39. Maori design on the arm
40. Tattoo surrounding the foot
41. Spiral shaped pattern on the torso
42. Round tattoo with fish design
43. Pattern made on the shoulder and arm
44. Foot Tattoo and Design Mockup
45. Stripe pattern on the back
46. Pattern of a hammerhead shark in blue and black
47. Side lying tattoo
48. Large Maori tattoo on the shoulder
49. Pattern covering the right arm and torso
50. Tattoo along the right calf
51. Pattern of a calf hook
52. Large Maori tattoo covering the whole back
53. Pattern covering the whole arm
54. Maori tattoo along the calf
55. Stingray and Calf Fish Pattern
56. Sacred Maori tattoo of a hammerhead shark on the calf
57. Thigh Tribal Pattern
58. Polynesian tattoo on the forearm
59. Sacred Ray Pattern
60. Archangel tattoo on the shoulder
61. Maori vector tattoo
62. Maori tattoo on leg
63. Maori depiction of a foot hammerhead shark
64. Tribal pattern on upper arm and torso
65. Maori leg tattoo
66. Tribal pattern on the neck and shoulder
67. Maori tattoo on chest
68. Tribal pattern in the ribs.
69. Maori shoulder tattoo.
70. Subtle pattern all over the shoulder.
71. Pattern of a turtle’s chest.
72. Maori motif cuff.
73. A shark pattern.
74. Pattern of a calf turtle.
75. Full shoulder tattoo.
76. Subtle design on the shoulder.
77. Full shoulder tattoo.
78. The moko in the face.
79. A meaningful symbol on the arm.
80. Calf pattern.
81. Full back tattoo.
82. Pattern on the arm combined with a flower.
83. Tattoos on both calves.
84. Another pattern for calves.
85. Subtle pattern on the shoulder.
86. Tattoo for warrior.
87. A calf parting.
88. A shoulder mask.
89. A sun pattern on the shoulder and chest.
90. A snake in a tribal style.
91. A combination of several patterns.
92. Another pattern on the shoulder.
93. Pattern of a shark.
94. Tattoo of a Maori object.
95. Maori cuff.
96. Subtle pattern at foot.
97. Moko on the heel.
98. Maori women’s cuff.
99. Warrior tattoo.
100. Pattern on a woman’s leg.
To see if new Maori tattoo ideas have been added to this collection of ideas, it’s happening this way
If you liked the post let me know. It’s the only way for me to improve it.