Having sore eyes is a fairly common occurrence, with several factors that can cause it. If your eyes hurt, read on for some simple home remedies you can try the next time you experience this condition.
Place a cold washcloth over your closed eyes two to three times a day for up to five minutes at a time. This exposure to cold causes capillaries to constrict and blood to flow out of the affected area, helping to reduce inflammation and pain.
Eye drops containing castor oil have been shown to reduce eye irritation. Place a drop in each eye before going to bed and again in the morning.
Due to the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of aloe vera, many natural healers recommend using it to relieve sore eyes. Simply mix 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera plant gel with 2 tablespoons of cold water, soak cotton balls in it and place them on your closed eyes for 10 minutes, twice a day.
Severely sore eyes
If your eyes are severely sore or sore, it could be a symbol of a more serious illness, such as:
– Dry eyes
– Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
– Optic neuritis
– Blocked tear duct
– Abrasion of the cornea
– Foreign object in the eye
Also, if you experience any of these symptoms, see your eye doctor immediately to get an accurate diagnosis and start treatment early. This is all the more important as the eyes are a very delicate organ which can be easily damaged. Seek emergency medical help immediately if:
– Your pain is caused by a distant object hitting or lodged in your eye.
– Your pain is caused by any exposure to chemicals.
– You have a sudden change of vision.
– You start to see halos around the lights.
– You are unable to keep your eyes open.
– You have trouble moving your eyes.
– You have pus or blood coming out of your eyes.