Don’t throw away your pillow because it turned yellow! In this article, we’ll show you how to bring them back to life and rid them of the ugly yellow spots caused by bacteria and dust mites. You should find comfort knowing that you can rest your head on a clean pillow again.
Where do the yellow stains on your pillow come from?
Have you ever noticed yellow stains on your pillow and wondered what they were? Well, the main cause is sweating. Every time you sleep, you lose water through your skin and it ends up on your pillowcase. Dust, makeup, and dirt can also contribute to these spots. Over time, these substances build up and create a yellowish discoloration.
Effectively clean stains from your pillows!
There are a few simple methods you can use to clean yellow stains from your pillows. One of the easiest methods is to place your pillows in direct sunlight for a few hours. The ultraviolet rays will help fade the stains. In this article, we explain how to prepare effective solutions!
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent (liquid) of your choice
- Take a bowl
- Pour in a quantity of detergent
- Add baking soda gradually until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste generously to the dirty areas and leave on for about an hour
- After letting the preparation dry, put your pillow in your washing machine at a temperature of 90°, this will kill all bacteria.
- A second rinse is sometimes necessary, during the latter, add vinegar to the detergent slot of your washing machine.
- Leave to dry, ideally in the sun
Please note: for feather pillows, the washing temperature should not exceed 60°, the same goes for down pillows.
There are other ways to get rid of pillow stains
There are several grandmother recipes to fight against pillow stains that you have no doubt heard of:
- Soda crystals mixed with bleach
- Bicarbonate mixed with white vinegar
- Hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice
We advise you to always use rubber gloves for the well-being of your skin.
Tips for a clean and comfortable pillow
Your pillows play an important role in the quality of your sleep. In order to get the most out of your pillow, it is important to take care of it. Here are some tips for keeping your pillow clean and comfortable:
- Regularly wash your pillowcases, keep them clean
- Equip yourself with a quality pillow protector, an additional barrier will do good.
- Air out and leave in the sun as much as possible, this will help keep your pillow fresh and prevent mold growth.
- Wash your face (remove makeup) before sleeping.
- Preferably wash them every 6 months.
By following these simple tips, you’ll enjoy a clean, comfortable pillow for years to come. Thanks for reading !